Tuesday 11 October 2011

Negative Space

I became side tracked there for awhile, and I ended up at a dead end, I didn't really have much further to go with brain etc because it was second hand information, so I went back to my mind maps and returned to Op Art and the illusions and found a different path, I felt like I'd lost time, and had not much to show for myself after a month here, but then again all the work I did was part of the journey. Trial and Error

  So after my tangent into the brain and its ways, I returned to optical illusions again and found another path here, playing with negative space and after images and the different types of visual movement regarding optical art.

Visual illusions occur due to properties of the visual areas of the brain as they receive and process information.  An illusion is a phenomenon in which our subjective perception doesn't match the physical reality of the world. These sentences, I think, link everything I've been saying so far, the hallucinations, the processing of the brain, pareidolia and the movement across the plane of op art whilst trying to process what you see.
Negative Space:
in art is the space around and between the subjects of the image. Negative space may be most evident when the space around a subject and not the subject itself forms an interesting or artistically relevant shape and such space is occasionally used to artistic effect as the 'real' subject of the image. The use of negative space is a key element in artistic composition. 

In a two tone, black and white image a subject is normally depicted in black and the space around it is left blank, thereby forming a silhouette of the subject. reversing the tones so that the space around the subject itself is left blank causes the negative space to be apparent as it form shapes around the subject.
Noma Bar 'Negative Space'

No comments:

Post a Comment