Tuesday 11 October 2011

Mind Altering

I linked optical illusions with pareidolia because it's something we see one way but process another way. I began to think about other ways our mind works, how it works under mind altering substances and the link between optical illusions and hallucinations.

 Drugs like LSD, effect the brain by causing hallucinations, you sense a stimulus and this message is moved through by sensory neurons but it isn't processed correctly because the LSD has effected your system, so what you are seeing, hearing, feeling or smelling is altered in your mind and the message is perceived in a different way. In a way hallucinations are an optical illusion in itself. Your vision is morphed, things are moving in your mind, that in reality are not at all.
 Another linkage between the LSD and my initial idea of movement and the brain and movement in the brain, was the effect of LSD on your cells. You take it into your system and then it travels to your serotonin cells and it acts upon these cells, the message of LSD is moved through your cells the same way everything else moves through your cells and your CNS.


'Over and Out' Jen Stark
'Alpha and Omega' Jen Stark


I looked up art on LSD, art regarding LSD and other types of art that made me think of hallucinations and the effects of LSD. I found and artist called Jen Stark, a paper sculpture. Stark created incredibly trippy and colourful pieces from tonnes and tonnes of paper. The colour scheme in her pieces and the depth illusion of some of her work combined, made me think of the effets of LSD and the hallucinations one would have.
Jen Stark's worked really popped out at me regarding the optical illusion side of things. Her work has a perception of depth that isn't really there. Her use of colour and lines form gaping holes and crevasses in her work that really grabs you.

My visual response to hallucinations.
 Hallucinations interested me regarding movement and motion because I figured the movement and motion of your normal world is distorted by the message you sensed being disrupted in your brain and the optical illusion that is happening around you in these hallucinations. I liked the idea of art on LSD, imagining the morphed world and the distorted movement around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment