Thursday 3 May 2012

Collograph 2




 The above prints were dealing with my friends tattoo again, I was just messing around with different parts of the tattoo and experimenting with colour.


This is my favourite print
I became lazy conceptually and I was just working on images I had left over from silkscreen so I went back to the sketchbook and started looking at different reasons people get tattoos again. I researched them under identification purposes and looked at Nazi concentration camp's numbering system, people who were forcibly tattooed for identification. I took sequences of numbers in the concept of the prisoners tattoos and painted them with pva and carbrinium. i used quite worn down drab colors to go with the whole feel of the tattoo. I then looked at prison and gang tattoos for awhile.

   I looked at slaves in the Roman empire who were also numbered under this system. Exported slaves were tattooed with the words "tax paid" and it was a common practice to tattoo "Stop me, I'm a runaway" on their foreheads.







No comments:

Post a Comment