Thursday 4 October 2012

Headlines and stories

It's the start of second year and our first brief is 'Headlines and Stories; blending politics, pop culture and picture making to tell tales'. I began looking at the conflict in Syria, basing my research on some Unicef articles I found stating that over 400 children were killed in Syria in the past year, another 400 have been detained, tortured and sexually abused. This is a major violation of children's rights. It is the Syrian armed forces, led by Syria's president Bashar al-Asaad, who are acting out the crimes against humanity. A Syrian soldier was quoted threatening a young boy before killing him that they 'take adults and children alike and kill them'.




In my sketchbook I began working on something to represent all these children. I came across a Luke Dixon print of a girl, really detailed but he left the eyes out. For something so simple it had a good impact. These images are meant to represent the dead lifeless eyes of the children who have been killed. It depicts the emptiness felt by the children who have been violated and exploited, becoming shells of themselves.




 This idea was too specific, so I made my them more general, rather that focusing on one particular situation in today's news, I am now dealing with the violation of children's right everywhere and the general vulnerability of a child.




































These are some prints that I made from the sketches above;




















No comments:

Post a Comment