Tuesday 12 March 2013

Correspodants

My Grandmother worked in a post office when she was young. She came across my grandfathers letters regularly, he was an artist and always put considerable effort and skill into his lettering, the ones I have photographed are general italics, but some of them are incredibly ornate and calligraphic. She contacted the sender address to find out who he was and that's how they met.
 
There are hundreds of these letters beginning when they first met and moving into married life. There a perfect example of the passage of time when you lay them out, they record all their different changes in address and different stamps from where they were sent, her name gradually changes from Considine to Slemon.
 



After my progress review I aim to continue with this, I've been looking at the artist On Kawara who deals with the passage of time through correspondants. I plan on ordering some of the Basildon Bond envelopes and printing with these.


No comments:

Post a Comment