Wednesday 9 January 2013

Drawing Project

I chose Brice Marden for our drawing project, I was looking at his later works like 'Cold Mountain' for example. I experimented with different materials; charcoals, conte crayons, markers, different colour inks, acrylic paint mixed with glue, watercolours pencils etc. and used long brushes tied together or long sticks when using ink.

These are some images of his work Iparticulary like;


These are some images from my first sketch book, they are just little sketches I began with before proeprly looking into his works;




 
Marden will create a layer of pattern and then either erase it or use a light wash and begin another layer until it builds up. When using the charcoal I would erase and draw, erase and draw until I built up a heavy system of lines.


 

 
With these paintings I began with charcoal, moved onto acrylic paint, I used a light wash over these lines and teh last layer was ink.



 
The following images were me working out his use of shapes and lines, I drew with a freer hand than I normally would, from a distance with a long brush and I allowed my hand tomake mistakes, It was similiar to 'bringing teh dog for a walk' when you were younger.







 
These are my finished pieces;


 


This was a really rushed photo so some of it's missing :)^^
 



No comments:

Post a Comment